Reducing and recycling has become very important in today’s society. Lessening the impact on the environment that all our actions have is not only beneficial to the environment, it is also beneficial to your personal finances.
Finding ways to reuse and recycle in all areas of your life reduces your expenses and helps create a better place to live for everyone.
What is really wonderful is that with a little bit of creative thinking, you can change your home decor in an environmentally-friendly way without having to spend much money.
These six tips are a great way to practice being eco-friendly in your home:
Eco-Friendly Home Decorating Tips
- Restore and Reuse. It is amazing what you can do with things you already have around your home. Old jars can be transformed into beautiful containers with a little bit of paint or scrap fabric that is in your junk drawers. An old steamer trunk that is sitting in your garage can become an end table and conversation piece. Favorite old t-shirts can be stuffed into throw pillows. Old furniture can be restored with paint or stain and made to look fresh and new. Don’t forget that furniture moved from one room to another can also create an entirely new look to each room. The possibilities are endless.
- Frequent Thrift Stores. You can find fabulous home decor items in thrift stores for very little money. Many of these stores have beautiful antiques and lightly used furniture, too. If you enjoy creating your own interior designs, visit these shops for painting and craft supplies to make your projects affordable and eco-friendly. Be sure to look at the online classified and auction sites for specialty pieces.
- Rethink Major Purchases. If you need to make a large purchase for furniture or appliances, try to look at more than just the price tag. Items purchased that are constructed poorly will end up in a landfill quickly. Sometimes it is more environmentally friendly to buy a higher priced, but well-constructed, item. Look at warranty times on appliances. Items only guaranteed for two years will probably only last that long. Opt for items with longer guarantees.
- Buy Eco-Friendly Items. You can make sure that you are committed to being eco-friendly by purchasing items that are made from sustainable products. Rattan and bamboo furniture pieces are very Earth-friendly. Items made from hemp, sustainable woods and real cotton are also very good for the environment. You can find many items for home decor that are made from 100 percent recycled goods. Another thing to consider are petroleum-free logs to burn in your fireplace. These easy to burn logs last as long as real wood and they put off less carbon monoxide than real wood.
- Support Local Artisans and Stores. You can reduce your carbon imprint by purchasing locally. Frequent art galleries and local shops for home decor items and supplies. Your local economy will benefit and you will reduce carbon emissions that are associated with transporting goods.
- Go Really Green. One of the most environmentally-friendly home decor ideas that you can use is live plants. Incorporate live plants into all areas of your home. These plants will clean the air better than any aerosol freshener and will produce pure oxygen. This pure oxygen is also very good for your health.
These are all very simple steps that you can take to lower your impact on the environment while enjoying a new look to your home. Being environmentally friendly is not hard to accomplish, it simply takes a little bit of creativity and planning.
And remember to have fun in throughout the creative process!