Amelia Court House (also known as Amelia Courthouse and Amelia) is a census-designated place (CDP) that serves as the county seat of Amelia County, Virginia, United States. The population as of the 2010 Census was 1,099. It was named for Princess Amelia of Great Britain, the daughter of Great Britain's King George II, in 1735.
Amelia Court House was in a rural area of the Virginia Piedmont developed for plantations of mixed crops. In the 19th century, spas were developed around mineral springs and served as vacation destinations for travelers. Some visitors arrived by railroad after one was built to serve the area. Among the planters who came to the spas with their families was Robert E. Lee, the future Confederate general.
By the 1860s, the village was served by a railroad that became relied on by the Confederacy. After General Robert E. Lee retreated from Petersburg in 1865, he spent April 4 and 5 in Amelia Court House waiting for supplies from Richmond. Those supplies never arrived.