Appleton is a town in Knox County, Maine, United States. It is about 15 miles inland from Penobscot Bay and coastal towns such as Camden and Rockland, about 30 miles east of the state capital of Augusta, Maine. The population was 1,316 at the 2010 census.
The town was incorporated on January 28, 1829 from the former Plantation of Appleton. The plantation and town was named for Nathaniel Appleton, who was for more than 20 years an officer of the Twenty Associates, the proprietors of Appleton, as well as Camden, Hope, Liberty, and Montville.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 33.43 square miles (86.58 km2), of which, 32.71 square miles (84.72 km2) of it is land and 0.72 square miles (1.86 km2) is water.
As of the census of 2010, there were 1,316 people, 545 households, and 362 families living in the town. The population density was 40.2 inhabitants per square mile (15.5/km2). There were 646 housing units at an average density of 19.7 per square mile (7.6/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 97.8% White, 0.5% African American, 0.2% Asian, 0.2% from other races, and 1.3% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.6% of the population.