Ventnor City is a city in Atlantic County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the city's population was 10,650, reflecting a decrease of 2,260 (-17.5%) from the 12,910 counted in the 2000 Census, which had in turn increased by 1,905 (+17.3%) from the 11,005 counted in the 1990 Census.
Ventnor City was incorporated as a city by an act of the New Jersey Legislature on March 17, 1903, from portions of Egg Harbor Township.
Mrs. S. Bartram Richards, the wife of the secretary-treasurer of the Camden and Atlantic Land Company, suggested the name "Ventnor" for the area then being developed by the company south of Atlantic City, having recently visited the English seaside resort on the Isle of Wight with the same name. The name was chosen in January 1889. The city was formally incorporated by the New Jersey Legislature on March 17, 1903.
Chapter 51 of the laws and Sessions of the State of New Jersey provided the beginning to Ventnor City stating, "Be it enacted by the Senate and General Assembly of New Jersey that all part or portion of the County of Atlantic, formerly a part of Egg Harbor Township, situated on Absecon Beach, lying between the Westwardly limit of Atlantic City and the Eastwardly limit of South Atlantic City, the Atlantic Ocean on the south as far as the jurisdiction of the State extends, and to the center of Beach Thoroughfare on the North, be, and is hereby constituted as a City of this State, and all of the inhabitants of the State residing within the limits aforesaid be and they are hereby ordained, constituted and declared to be from time to time forever hereafter one body politic and corporate, in fact and in name, by the name, Ventnor City. This act shall take effect immediately, and was approved on March 17, 1903."
The first meeting was held on April 20, 1903, in the Carisbrooke Inn, which was located behind the present City Hall, on Atlantic Avenue between Cambridge and Sacramento Avenues; Carisbrooke is also a place name taken from the Isle of Wight.
According to the United States Census Bureau, Ventnor City city had a total area of 3.52 square miles (9.13 km2), including 1.96 square miles (5.07 km2) of land and 1.57 square miles (4.06 km2) of water (44.52%).
The city is located on 8.1-mile (13.0 km) long Absecon Island, along with Atlantic City to the northeast, and Margate City and Longport on the southwest. The boardwalk runs along the entire 1.7-mile (2.7 km) Ventnor City beach front and is connected to the Atlantic City Boardwalk. It ends at Ventnor City's border with Margate City.
The city borders Atlantic City, Egg Harbor Township, Margate City and Pleasantville.
The 2010 United States Census counted 10,650 people, 4,592 households, and 2,645 families in the city. The population density was 5,457.4 inhabitants per square mile (2,107.1/km2). There were 7,829 housing units at an average density of 4,011.8 per square mile (1,549.0/km2).