Bedford is a city in Shawswick Township, Lawrence County, Indiana, United States. The population was 13,413 at the 2010 census. The city is the county seat of Lawrence County. Bedford is the principal city of the Bedford, IN Micropolitan Statistical Area, which comprises all of Lawrence County.
Bedford was laid out as a town and the county seat of Lawrence County, Indiana, United States around 1825. The original county seat was in Palestine, four miles to the south, but was moved, at the urging of the legislature, to a new location as the original location near the White River was deemed unhealthy because of malaria spread by mosquitoes. The new site was named Bedford at the suggestion of a prominent local businessman, Joseph Rawlins, who had relocated to the area from Bedford County, Tennessee. It incorporated as a town in 1864 and received its city charter in 1889. Bedford was a stop on the Underground Railroad.
According to the 2010 census, Bedford has a total area of 12.16 square miles (31.49 km2), all land. The city is known as the "Limestone Capital of the World" because of its large limestone quarries that are around the area.