Try a different search or click on nearby areas below.
Belcourt is a census-designated place (CDP) in Rolette County, North Dakota in the United States. It is within the Turtle Mountain Indian Reservation. The population was 2,078 at the 2010 census.
The community is the seat of the Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa Indians. Belcourt was originally known as Siipiising, which is Anishinaabe (Chippewa) for "creek that sings with life-giving water." The name refers to what European Americans called "Ox Creek", which flows through the center of town.
Belcourt was laid out in 1884. The community was named Belcourt in honour of Georges-Antoine Belcourt,. Father Belcourt was a French Canadian Roman Catholic diocesan priest and missionary who served the Chippewa and Métis throughout his ministry in the mid-nineteenth century. Belcourt advocated politically on the behalf of the Anishinaabeg and Métis in Canada and in the United States until 1859. Father Belcourt described the Chippewa historical territory in the Pembina River basin as covering an area about 400 miles from north to south and 500 miles from east to west.
The town is served by different forms of media, such as KEYA, a tribal radio station that can be found at 88.5 FM; and the Turtle Mountain Times, the tribally owned newspaper that was established in 2003.