Blue Springs is a city located in the U.S. state of Missouri within Jackson County. Blue Springs is located 19 miles (31 km) east of downtown Kansas City and is the 9th largest city in the Kansas City Metropolitan Area. As of the 2010 United States Census the population was 52,575.
Blue Springs’ history is tied to the migration of settlers on their westward journey. Pioneers found the area to be an ideal stopover due to the abundance of cool, clean water from a spring of the Little Blue River—hence the name Blue Springs. The presence of water and a need for pioneer supplies led to the construction of a grist mill and permanent settlement at the current site of the City's Burrus Old Mill Park on Woods Chapel Road.
The Jackson County Court granted the incorporation of Blue Springs on September 7, 1880, making the City the fourth settlement in the county to be incorporated. An early settler, Franklin Smith, arrived in Blue Springs from Virginia in 1838 and became a leading figure in the community's development. He established the first post office in 1845, naming it after the well-known springs.
The settlement continued to grow near the springs until March 1878, when the Chicago and Alton Railroad announced plans to build a station about one mile east of the original settlement.