Bonnie is a village located in the southern part of Jefferson County, Illinois. Bonnie had a population of 397 in the 2010 census, down from 424 in the 2000 census. It is part of the Mount Vernon Micropolitan Statistical Area.
The first settlement in this area was Spring Garden, about four miles southeast of Bonnie. There were several springs in the area. Early in the 19th century, Uriah Compton walled them up and built a resort called "Compton's Springs". In 1848, the village of Spring Garden was platted next to the resort. Spring Garden grew rapidly, becoming the second largest settlement in the County, even having a high school by 1888. In 1905, however, the Chicago and Eastern Illinois Railroad was built about three miles to the west. Spring Garden began a long decline as the business and population shifted to the rail depots at Bonnie and Ina.