Candia is a town in Rockingham County, New Hampshire, United States. The population was 3,909 at the 2010 census. The town includes the villages of Candia, Candia Four Corners and East Candia.
Settled in 1743, Candia was once part of Chester and known as "Charmingfare", probably because of the many bridle paths or "parades" through the pleasant scenery. Charmingfare was incorporated in 1763 and named "Candia" by Colonial Governor Benning Wentworth, possibly after the old name under Venetian domination of the principal city of Crete, which he had visited after graduation from Harvard. Another account holds, "The town received its present name in compliment to Governor Benning Wentworth, who was once a prisoner on the island of Candia, in the Mediterranean Sea."
Candia was served by the Portsmouth & Concord Railroad, which stretched between its namesake cities. In 1862 the segment between Candia and Suncook was abandoned, coinciding with the opening of a new segment between Manchester and Candia. Therefore, the new line ran from Manchester to Portsmouth via Candia. In 1895 ownership of the line passed to the Boston & Maine Railroad who made it their Portsmouth Branch. Passenger service ended in 1954.