Cape May Court House is an unincorporated community and census-designated place (CDP) located within Middle Township in Cape May County, New Jersey, United States. It is part of the Ocean City Metropolitan Statistical Area. As of the 2010 United States Census, the CDP's population was 5,338. It is the county seat of Cape May County and serves as the principal administrative hub for the township.
Cape Regional Medical Center, known as Burdette Tomlin Memorial Hospital until April 2007, is the only hospital in Cape May County. The Cape May County Park and Zoo is also located in Cape May Court House.
Cape May Court House was laid out in 1703 by Jeremiah Hand and was first called Rumney Marsh and afterward Middleton before the adoption of its present name. The Court of Cape May County met in private homes and the First Baptist Church until 1764, when Daniel Hand set 1-acre (4,000 m2) of his own property to construct a court house and jail. It was replaced by the current structure in 1849.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP had a total area of 9.899 square miles (25.639 km2), including 8.926 square miles (23.118 km2) of land and 0.973 square miles (2.520 km2) of water (9.83%).
The Cape May County Park & Zoo in Cape May Court House provides free year-round admission to a collection of over 550 animals representing 250 species in 85 acres of exhibits. The zoo is located in the center of Cape May County's Central Park, and together the zoo and the park cover about 220 acres. The zoo began operation in 1978.