Carneys Point Township is a township in Salem County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the township's population was 8,049, reflecting an increase of 365 (+4.8%) from the 7,684 counted in the 2000 Census, which had in turn declined by 759 (-9.0%) from the 8,443 counted in the 1990 Census.
Upper Penns Neck Township was formed on July 10, 1721, when Penn's Neck Township was subdivided and Lower Penns Neck Township (now Pennsville Township) was also formed. The township was incorporated by an act of the New Jersey Legislature on February 21, 1798, as one of New Jersey's original group of 104 townships. Portions of the township were taken to form Oldmans Township (February 7, 1881) and Penns Grove borough (March 8, 1894). The township was renamed Carneys Point Township based on the results of a Township meeting held on November 10, 1976, after voters approved a referendum held eight days earlier.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township had a total area of 17.78 square miles (46.05 km2), including 16.91 square miles (43.80 km2) of land and 0.87 square miles (2.25 km2) of water (4.88%). The Salem River flows along a portion of the township's southern boundary.
Carneys Point CDP (with a 2010 Census population of 7,382) is an unincorporated community and census-designated place (CDP) located within Carneys Point Township.
Other unincorporated communities, localities and place names located partially or completely within the township include Biddles Landing, Helms Cove, Iddles Landing, Laytons Lake and Riddles Landing.
The township borders the Salem County municipalities of Mannington Township, Oldmans Township, Pennsville Township, Penns Grove and Pilesgrove Township.
Carneys Point Township is connected to the State of Delaware by the Delaware Memorial Bridges over the Delaware River.
The township is home to the Dupont Corporation Chamber Works, a facility covering 1,445 acres (585 ha) that was listed No. 4 on the Mother Jones top 20 polluters of 2010, legally discharging over 5,000,000 pounds (2,300,000 kg) of toxic chemicals into New Jersey and Delaware River waterways. In 2016, the township initiated a $1.1 billion lawsuit against the corporation, accusing it of divesting the Chambers Works to Chemours without first remediating the property as required by law to address the 100,000,000 pounds (45,000,000 kg) of pollutants emitted into the soil and water in the century that the facility has been in operation.
The 2010 United States Census counted 8,049 people, 3,264 households, and 2,033 families in the township. The population density was 477.3 inhabitants per square mile (184.3/km2).