Catonsville is a census-designated place (CDP) in Baltimore County, Maryland, United States. The population was 41,567 at the 2010 census. The community lies to the west of Baltimore along the city's border. Catonsville contains the majority of the University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC), a major public research university with close to 14,000 students.
Before European colonists settled in present-day Catonsville, the area was occupied by the Piscataway tribe, or the Susquehannocks.
The first European settlement in present-day Catonsville was Johnnycake Town, settled in 1729. It was named after its tavern, popular for baking and selling johnnycakes to travelers every morning. It was known for being a stopping place for travelers, where they would rest their horses.
Rolling Road was used to transport tobacco south from plantations to the Patapsco River on horse-drawn wagons.
In 1787, the Ellicott family built the Frederick Turnpike to transport goods from their flour mill, Ellicott Mills, to the Baltimore harbor. Charles Carroll, the last surviving signer of the Declaration of Independence at the time, owned the land around the then newly built road. He instructed his son-in-law, Richard Caton, to develop the area along the road.