Chelsea is a town in Rogers County, Oklahoma. The population was 1,964 at the 2010 census, a decline of 8.3 percent from 2,136 at the 2000 census. Chelsea was named after the area in London, England, by Charles Peach, a railroad official who was a native of that city. The town was the site of the Chelsea-Alluwe Oil Field, which produced a significant amount of oil from about 1910 until the early 1920s before it played out.
In 1881, Chelsea began as a stop on the Atlantic and Pacific Railroad. A post office was established in November 1882. The community incorporated as a town in the Cherokee Nation, Indian Territory, in 1889. The town was surveyed and platted in 1902. The Bank of Chelsea, the first state bank in Indian Territory, began operation in March 1896.
The town economy has historically rested on farming, ranching and oil production. Important farm products were oats, corn, wheat and pecans. A flour mill built circa 1892 was one of Chelsea's original industries.