Clarkston, known officially as the City of the Village of Clarkston, is a city located in Oakland County, Michigan, United States. The city is surrounded by Independence Township, but the two are administered autonomously. At the 2010 census, the city had a population of 882.
Clarkston was incorporated as a city in 1992. With a total land area of 0.44 square miles (1.14 km2), Clarkston is the smallest city by land area in the state of Michigan.
Squatter Linux Jacox from New York built the first house, a Shanty, in Clarkston in 1830. In 1832, Butler Holcomb built the second house and a sawmill. On December 12, 1840, the Independence post office was transferred to the community and assumed its name. In 1842, the Clark brothers platted a tract of land for a village and gave it the name Clarkston. Clarkston was incorporated in 1884 as a village.
In 1992, the village of Clarkston was incorporated as a city.
The Village of Clarkston was designated a Michigan State Historic Site on January 16, 1976 and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on May 15, 1979.