Try a different search or click on nearby areas below.
Clawson is a city in Oakland County in the U.S. state of Michigan. It is part of the Detroit metropolitan area. At the 2010 census, its population was 11,825.
This area was occupied by the historic Potowatomi people, who were among the indigenous peoples in the Detroit territory. They traded furs for goods for years with the French Canadians and English colonists.
The city's name is a misspelling of the surname of John Lawson, an early European-American settler. It was founded by European Americans in 1829 and was originally known as Pumachug, likely derived from a Potowatomi term, and The Corners. It was incorporated as Clawson in 1921 as a village; in 1940 it was incorporated as a city.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.20 square miles (5.70 km2), all land.
At the 2010 census, there were 11,825 people, 5,460 households and 2,992 families living in the city. The population density was 5,375.0 inhabitants per square mile (2,075.3/km2). There were 5,791 housing units at an average density of 2,632.3 per square mile (1,016.3/km2). The racial makeup was 93.4% White, 1.9% African American, 0.3% Native American, 2.0% Asian, 0.4% from other races, and 1.9% from two or more races.