Clayton is a village in Lenawee County of the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 344 at the 2010 census. The village is situated on the boundary between Hudson Township on the west and Dover Township on the east, with a portion of the village in each.
M-34 (or W. Carleton Rd.) passes along the south side of the village, while M-156 has its northern terminus at the junction with M-34. The road, also known as Morey Highway, continues north through the village.
Clayton was first established in 1836. It got a post office in 1837 and was platted in 1843. It was incorporated as a village in 1870.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 0.71 square miles (1.84 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2010, there were 344 people, 118 households, and 90 families living in the village. The population density was 484.5 inhabitants per square mile (187.1/km2). There were 131 housing units at an average density of 184.5 per square mile (71.2/km2). The racial makeup of the village was 93.6% White, 1.7% African American, 0.3% Native American, 0.3% Asian, 1.7% from other races, and 2.3% from two or more races.