Cleburne is a city in and the county seat of Johnson County, Texas, United States. As of the 2010 census the population was 29,337. The city is named in honor of Patrick Cleburne, a Confederate general. Lake Pat Cleburne, the reservoir that provides water to the city and surrounding area, is also named after him.
Cleburne is Johnson County's third county seat. It was formerly known as Camp Henderson, a temporary Civil War outpost from which Johnson County soldiers would depart for war (most of them would serve under General Cleburne). The city was formally incorporated in 1871.
Cleburne was near the earliest road in the county. The location featured water from West Buffalo Creek, making it a great stop for cattlemen from the Chisholm Trail.
In August 1886 the Texas Farmers' Alliance met at Lee's Academy and adopted a seventeen-point political resolution, commonly known as the Cleburne Demands, which was the first major document of the agrarian revolt occurring at the end of the late nineteenth century.
In 1900 Cleburne was the site of the founding convention of the Texas State Federation of Labor.
Cleburne was primarily an agricultural center and county seat until the Santa Fe Railroad opened a major facility there in 1898. During this time the population boomed, as it became a sizable city for the area with over 12,000 residents by 1920.