Conshohocken ( kon-shə-HOK-ən; Lenape: Kanshihàkink) is a borough on the Schuylkill River in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, in suburban Philadelphia. Historically a large mill town and industrial and manufacturing center, after the decline of industry in recent years Conshohocken has developed into a center of riverfront commercial and residential development. In the regional slang, it is sometimes referred to by the colloquial nickname Conshy ( KON-shee). The name "Conshohocken" comes from the Unami language, from either Kanshi'hak'ing, meaning "Elegant-ground- place", or, more likely, Chottschinschu'hak'ing, which means "Big-trough-ground-place" or "Large-bowl-ground-place", referring to the big bend in the Tulpe'hanna (Turtle River, or modern Schuylkill River).
The sister community of West Conshohocken is located on the opposite side of the Schuylkill River.
Conshohocken is located at 40°4′38″N 75°18′7″W (40.077135, -75.302009).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 1.0 square mile (2.6 km2), of which, 1.0 square mile (2.6 km2) of it is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) of it (2.97%) is water.
Conshohocken fronts the Schuylkill River. A rather sharp bend in the river at Conshohocken gives the Schuylkill Expressway, which hugs the far bank, a curve that is well known to regional radio listeners as the Conshohocken curve (it is a staple of traffic reports). Railroad tracks line both river banks, reflecting the valley's heavy industrial past as well as its continuing rail activity including Norfolk Southern and SEPTA. A rail trail portion of the Schuylkill River Trail also passes through.
The place was first settled about 1820, and was for several years known as Matson's Ford; in 1830 it was laid out as a town and received its present name, a Native American word meaning “pleasant valley.”
The Pennsylvania guide, compiled by the Writers' Program of the Works Progress Administration, briefly described Conshohocken in 1940:
Founded early in the nineteenth century after construction of the Schuylkill Canal, it was incorporated as a borough in 1850. Settlement in this vicinity began as early as 1690.