Dansville is a village in Ingham County in the U.S. state of Michigan. It is centered along M-36 within Ingham Township about 22 miles (35 km) southeast of downtown Lansing. The population was 563 at the 2010 census.
As far as European settlement is concerned, the area that is now the village of Dansville was originally settled by Samuel Crossman in 1844, who, like many settlers at the time, had come from the state of New York in search of a new life. Samuel Crossman's son, Daniel Crossman, officially platted the village in 1857, naming it after himself and the village's first postmaster, Dr. Daniel T. Weston. The settlement was not actually incorporated as a village until 1867.
Dansville is one of the earliest settlements in Ingham County. Permanent home-seekers located there as early as 1836-40, and the first business establishment was a small store, with a general stock, opened by Samuel Crossman about 1847. The first hotel was the Union Hotel, built in 1856-7 by David D. Fox.