Delanco Township is a township in Burlington County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the township's population was 4,283, reflecting an increase of 1,046 (+32.3%) from the 3,237 counted in the 2000 Census, which had in turn declined by 79 (-2.4%) from the 3,316 counted in the 1990 Census.
Delanco was named for the Delaware River and Rancocas Creek, which border the community. It was originally called Del-Ranco or Delaranco, a syllabic abbreviation later shortened to Delanco.
It is a dry township where alcohol cannot be sold.
What is now Delanco Township was originally incorporated as Beverly Township by an act of the New Jersey Legislature on March 1, 1859, within Willingboro Township. Delanco was a geographical place name by 1868, and probably earlier. At its creation, Beverly Township included Beverly city, which separated as an independent municipality c. 1877. Portions of the township were taken to create Edgewater Park on February 26, 1924. The township's name was changed to Delanco Township as of December 20, 1926, based on the results of a referendum held on November 2, 1926.
In April 1861, the Sixth Massachusetts Militia passed through Delanco, on their way to Washington to defend the federal capital. According to the report of Colonel Edward F. Jones during their travel, James Brady was "taken insane" and left in Delanco Township with J. C. Buck. When the regiment arrived in Baltimore, Maryland, it was attacked during the Baltimore riot of 1861.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township had a total area of 3.33 square miles (8.62 km2), including 2.36 square miles (6.11 km2) of land and 0.97 square miles (2.52 km2) of water (29.19%).
The township borders the municipalities of Beverly, Delran Township, Edgewater Park Township, Riverside Township, Willingboro Township in Burlington County; and also borders Bensalem Township and the city of Philadelphia in Pennsylvania, across the Delaware River.
The 2010 United States Census counted 4,283 people, 1,755 households, and 1,241 families in the township.