Ecorse is a city in Wayne County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 9,512 at the 2010 census.
Ecorse is part of the Downriver community within Metro Detroit. The city shares a northwestern border with the city of Detroit and also borders the cities of Lincoln Park to the west, River Rouge to the north, and Wyandotte to the south. The city shares its name with the Ecorse River, which forms its southern border with Wyandotte. The Detroit River forms the city's eastern border as part of the Canada–United States border with LaSalle, Ontario.
Native American tribes of this area used this area as a burial ground. When French colonists settled here in the last two decades of the 18th century, they named the waterway "Rivière Aux Échorches", which means "The River of the Barks" in English.
In 1836, after the community had become part of United States territory, it was settled by more English speakers, who named it Grand Port. The community was unincorporated within Ecorse Township. In 1903 the settlement was incorporated as the village of Ecorse. With the opening of its first steel mill in 1923, Michigan Steel Mill, Ecorse began to become an economic force in the region.