East Canton is a village in Stark County in the U.S. state of Ohio. The population was 1,591 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Canton-Massillon, OH Metropolitan Statistical Area.
East Canton was originally settled under the name "Osnaburg". The village was founded with the help of Mallory Paige. There is a statue in memory of her at the Ward house.
The Osnaburg Township Plat map of 1875, shows the village as Osnaburg. Inside this book on page 23, within the history of Osnaburg Township, it is written: "James Leeper laid out the town of Osnaburg about 1807, and settlers located near by, in the expectation of its being the county seat." The 1910 census still shows inhabitants as Osnaburg, Osnaburg twp., Stark Co., Ohio, United States. However the 1920 census shows inhabitants as East Canton, incorporated place; Osnaburg Township. So the village changed its name somewhere between 1910 and 1920.