East Hills is a village in Nassau County, New York on the North Shore of Long Island. It is considered part of the Greater Roslyn area, which is anchored by the Village of Roslyn. As of the United States 2010 Census, the population of the village was 6,955.
The Village of East Hills is located in the Town of North Hempstead, spare for a small section of the village's northeast corner, which is in the Town of Oyster Bay.
The Village of East Hills was incorporated on June 24, 1931, and its first election was held a couple weeks later on July 8.
However, the area now occupied by the village has played a role in the history of both Long Island and the country, as a whole, long before then. In 1643, John Carman and Robert Fordham sailed across the Long Island Sound from Stamford, Connecticut and purchased the land that is now occupied by the towns of Hempstead and North Hempstead from the Marsappeaque, Matinecock, Mericock, and Rockoway Native Americans.
The legacy of the Native Americans in what is now East Hills lives on to this very day. Harbor Hill Road (unsigned as Nassau County Route 32), which was once a Native American trade route, is the oldest road in the village, and is one of the more important roads in East Hills.
the post-war era ushered in a huge population boom and suburbanization throughout the United States, which led to the construction of many new developments in the Village of East Hills, starting with the Norgate section (known at the time as Old Norgate), which was by Gustav A. Mezger.
Additionally, to serve the influx of families, the Moore & Hutchins-designed East Hills Elementary School was opened between the Canterbury Woods and Fairfield Park developments in 1953.
George Washington's diary mentions making a visit to Oyster Bay, and of his breakfast at what was previously the George Washington Manor (now Hendrick's Tavern). The paper mill in Roslyn park was inspected by George Washington.
The one thing in East Hills which has been in existence longer than any other man-made object is Harbor Hill Road (unsigned CR 32) in East Hills. The road is found in records going back as far as 1661, as "A path alongside Harboure Hill [sic.]".