Try a different search or click on nearby areas below.
East Los Angeles (Spanish: Este de Los Ángeles), or East L.A., known in the 1920s as Belvedere or Belvedere Gardens, is an unincorporated area and census-designated place (CDP) in Los Angeles County, California. As of the 2010 census it had a population of 126,496. It is 96% Latino—the highest percentage of any neighborhood in Los Angeles County, and the highest of any census-designated place in the United States with a population of 100,000 or more.
East L.A. is located immediately east of the Boyle Heights district of Los Angeles, south of the El Sereno district of Los Angeles, north of the city of Commerce, and west of the cities of Monterey Park and Montebello.
The unincorporated area known as City Terrace occupies the northern part of the East L.A. CDP.
Historically, the neighborhood northeast of downtown known today as Lincoln Heights was originally named East Los Angeles, but in 1917 residents voted to change the name to its present name. Today it is usually considered part of L.A.'s Eastside, the geographic region east of the Los Angeles River that includes three neighborhoods within the city of Los Angeles (Boyle Heights, El Sereno and Lincoln Heights) and the unincorporated community in Los Angeles County known today as "East Los Angeles". Lincoln Heights is 4 miles (6 km) northwest of present-day East Los Angeles. When Lincoln Heights, the first east-side subdivision created in 1873, changed its name, Belvedere and surrounding unincorporated county areas were given the moniker of East Los Angeles. By the 1930s, most maps had started to label the Belvedere area as "East Los Angeles".
In 1921 the Janss Investment Company purchased 154 acres (62 ha) adjacent to Whittier Boulevard (then known as Stephenson Avenue) and divided the empty land into housing lots of square-mile grid cells. Though the area was called "Boyle Heights" (which is technically within the city), the parcel was outside Los Angeles' eastern city limits.