Harrison is a town in the western part of Hudson County, New Jersey, United States. It is a suburb of the nearby city of Newark, New Jersey.
As of the 2010 United States Census, Harrison's population was 13,620, reflecting a decline of 804 (−5.6%) from the 14,424 counted in the 2000 Census, which had in turn increased by 999 (+7.4%) from the 13,425 counted in the 1990 Census. Once considered "the beehive of industry", the town is undergoing a residential renewal, particularly along the Passaic River.
The area that is now Harrison was the southernmost part of the 15,308-acre (23.919 sq mi; 61.95 km2) land grant awarded to William Sandford in 1668. When that grant was divided in 1671 between Sandford and his uncle, Nathaniel Kingsland of Barbados, Sandford's 5,000-acre (7.8 square mile) share included Harrison. While Sandford and his family established a plantation on the northern portion of his tract, there is no evidence they developed any significant part of Harrison. Upon his death in 1691, Sandford's land passed to his wife, Sarah Sandford (née Whartman). Upon her death about 1719, she passed most of the land, including Harrison, to her son William (about 1670-1733). In 1729, William transferred the southern parts of his upland to three of his sons, John, Robert and Peter, each receiving a 300-acre (120 ha) lot that included a portion of Harrison's upland. John and Robert sold their lots to members of the Schuyler family in 1733 and 1736, respectively, and migrated westward, John to Newark and Robert to Pine Brook.