Rumford is the northern section of the city of East Providence, Rhode Island, and is, as such, not a city or town of its own, as the heading of this page would suggest, despite the fact that The United States Post Office gave it its own ZIP Code, and treats it as though it is a city or town of its own, and despite the fact that residents and business proprietors there list “Rumford, Rhode Island“ as their addresses on any document on which their addresses appear.
This section of the city of East Providence, which, like the other sections of that city, is governed by the City Council of the City of East Providence, is served by the East Providence Police Department, and the East Providence school system. Taxes assessed on properties in this section of the city of East Providence are collected by the tax collector of the City of East Providence.
The Rumford section of East Providence borders Seekonk, Massachusetts, Pawtucket, Rhode Island, and the Ten Mile River (Seekonk River). Rumford has been part of three towns and two states: Rehoboth, Massachusetts, Seekonk, Massachusetts, and East Providence, Rhode Island. It became part of Rhode Island in 1862. Rumford Baking Powder was made in the town at the Rumford Chemical Works and was named after Sir Benjamin Thompson, Count Rumford.
Wannamoisett Country Club was established in Rumford in 1898 on land rented from Rumford Chemical Works, and it hosts the Northeast Amateur Invitational Golf Tournament each year.