Englewood is a city in Montgomery County, Ohio, United States and a northern suburb of Dayton. The population was 13,465 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Dayton Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Although Englewood was not actually founded until 1841, many early settlers began to come to the area known as Randolph Township around 1800. Earliest settlers were the families of David Hoover, David Mast, Daniel Hoover, Robert Ewing, John and Abraham McClintock, John Rench, Martin Sheets, Jacob Smith, Daniel and Peter Fetters. Also among the early settlers were the families of the Ellers, Fouts, Frantzs, Wertzs and the Brumbaughs.
The early settlers made their living basically from agriculture. They shipped grain and bacon down the Stillwater River on flat bottom boats to Dayton and as far south as New Orleans. There was also a considerable amount of industry, including saw mills, gun smithing, wine distilling and pottery manufacturing.
There were many Native Americans in the area in the early days; however, they were not hostile and traded with the settlers. There was also an abundance of wildlife which afforded good hunting for the settlers’ food requirements.
Following primarily the path traced through this area by the Stillwater River, a group of settlers founded what is now the City of Englewood on May 6, 1841.