Esko is an unincorporated community and census-designated place (CDP) in Thomson Township, Carlton County, Minnesota, United States. As of the 2010 census, its population was 1,869.
The community is located between Cloquet and Duluth at the junction of Interstate 35 and County Road 1 (Thomson Road). Esko is located six miles east (northeast) of the city of Cloquet; and 16 miles southwest of the city of Duluth.
Carlton County Road 61 serves as a main route in the community.
Most of the residents are descendants of Finnish, Norwegian and Swedish immigrants who settled the area during the early 20th Century. The nearby community of Thomson also is known to have a large Scandinavian presence.
Most students in kindergarten through twelfth grade attend classes at Winterquist Elementary School and Lincoln High School of Esko.
Esko was settled by immigrants between the 1870s and early 1900s. The majority of settlers were Finnish and their culture is reflected in the traditions of the community. In 1919 a small store was built at the corner of what is now Thomson Road and County 61 by a man named Alex Esko.