Eva is a town in Morgan County, Alabama, and is included in the Decatur Metropolitan Area, as well as the Huntsville-Decatur Combined Statistical Area. As of the 2010 census, the population of the town is 519, up from 491 in 2000. the mayor currently is Mayor Gary Livingston.
Originally called Cowhead, the town began to be settled in 1820, just a year after Alabama achieved statehood. William J. Rook began a Post Office in Cowhead in 1883; however, it was closed a month later. According to local lore, at a community meeting, the town received its current name Eva in October 1883 at the suggestion of a local physician, Dr. Lewis Keller, who had just delivered a beautiful baby girl by that name, Eva Brandon. He liked that name because like the girl, the town was just getting started. After discussion, the community agreed upon the name Eva because the town needed a new name as a prerequisite for establishing a new post office. It was not until 1887 that the town's name was officially changed from Cowhead.
In 1916, Mr.