Evesham Township is a township in Burlington County in the US state of New Jersey, United States. A suburb of Philadelphia. As of the 2010 United States Census, the township's population was 45,538, reflecting an increase of 3,263 (+7.7%) from the 42,275 counted in the 2000 Census, which had in turn increased by 6,966 (+19.7%) from the 35,309 counted in the 1990 Census. Colloquially, the area is referred to as Marlton, the name of a community within the township.
The area now known as Evesham Township was originally settled by Quakers in 1672. The township was named either for the town of the same name in England or for prominent English settler Thomas Eves.
Evesham Township was formed on November 6, 1688, as Eversham (with an "R" in the middle of the name that was lost in subsequent years) in the Province of West Jersey before the county was formed. It was incorporated by the Township Act of 1798 of the New Jersey Legislature on February 21, 1798, as one of New Jersey's original group of 104 townships. Parts of the township were taken to form Washington Township (November 19, 1802), Medford Township (March 1, 1847) and Mount Laurel Township (March 7, 1872).
The Township was substantially larger than it is today, originally including what are now Mount Laurel, Medford, Lumberton, Hainesport, Shamong, and Washington Townships. The South Branch of the Rancocas on the East Side and Cropwell Creek on the West Side bound this area. Evesham Township was eventually incorporated in 1692 as one of the thirteen Townships in Burlington County. In 1802, a tract was cut off for Washington Township; in 1847, the Township was then divided in half, with the eastern half becoming Medford Township; and in 1872, Evesham was divided again, for the last time, with the northern part becoming Mount Laurel Township.
Marlton is a name commonly associated and interchangeable with the name Evesham, derived from the census-designated place within Evesham.