Fairton is an unincorporated community and census-designated place (CDP) located within Fairfield Township, in Cumberland County, New Jersey, United States. It is part of the Vineland-Millville-Bridgeton Primary Metropolitan Statistical Area for statistical purposes. As of the 2010 United States Census, the CDP's population was 1,264.
This area was occupied historically by the Lenape and Nanticoke peoples, both part of the Algonquian languages family of the Atlantic coast. Their territory was encroached on by European-American settlers from colonial times.
The first industry in Fairfield was a mill, established by English settler Samuel Fithian. He owned part of the Grist Mill on Forke Creek before 1702. No information has been discovered on the other owners, but the shares were probably held in common. At some time before 1763, the owners moved the mill dam to near Clarks Pond Road. The mill was owned by David Clark from 1759 to 1843.
In the 1810s, a pork and beef business was the principal industry in this area.