Farrell is a city in Mercer County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 5,111 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Youngstown-Warren-Boardman, OH-PA Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Once dubbed "The Magic City," Farrell sprung up practically overnight when a steel mill was constructed in 1901 on a plain bordering the Shenango River, near Sharon, Pennsylvania, in what was then part of Hickory Township (now Hermitage).
The community name was at the beginning South Sharon. In 1912, the population reached 10,000. At that time the residents of the new city elected to take the name of Farrell, after industrialist James A. Farrell.
The community was incorporated as the Borough of South Sharon in 1916; its population peaked at over 15,000 in 1920 and its status was elevated to a third-class city in 1932. In 1939, artist Virginia Wood Riggs was commissioned to paint the mural Myths of Vulcan and Juno in the towns post office. The mural was painted over in 1966.
The mill, which eventually became known as the Roemer Works of Sharon Steel Corporation, would serve as the community's lifeblood until 1992, when it was liquidated after filing bankruptcy. Many of the assets were sold at auction to Britain-based Caparo Corporation and later to Swiss steelmaker Duferco, which operates the plant today.