Forest City is a borough in Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania, situated at the corner of Susquehanna County, Lackawanna County and Wayne County and is designated by a marker which is located in the Forest City Industrial Park.
Forest City is 4 avenues by 10 blocks as the 'main city' with a small surrounding suburb housing 1,911 in the 2010 census, with 87% of the population living 'in town'.
At its height in the early twentieth century, between the timber, silk, lumber and coal industries, the population was close to 6,000—a booming town with a busy Main Street.
The land that is Forest City and the surrounding area was originally part of the Delaware-Munsee Indian Tribe. By the time is became Forest City, it had been unoccupied, virgin land.
The land that would become Forest City had been known as "Forest Mills" since the 1850s. From 1879-1886, the post office was called "Pentecost". It was named after one of the first local settlers, William Pentecost, who had started the lumbering and milling industries in the area. The post office was renamed Forest City in 1886, and the Forest City borough was formed in 1888.
Between 1866 and 1871, the Jefferson Branch, a railroad spur of the D & H Canal Company, was built in Forest Mills. It ran between Susquehanna Depot and Carbondale, transporting the harvested lumber.