Forty Fort is a borough in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 4,214 at the 2010 census. Its neighbors are Wyoming (to the north), Plains Township (to the east), Kingston (to the south), and Swoyersville (to the west). The Wilkes-Barre Wyoming Valley Airport and the Wyoming Seminary Lower School are both located in the borough.
In the late 1770s, forty settlers from Westmoreland County, Connecticut, established a fortress along the Susquehanna River in the area now known as Forty Fort Borough. During the American Revolutionary War, both Connecticut and Pennsylvania claimed this territory, as Connecticut laid claim to a wide swath of land to its west based on its colonial charter. These competing claims were settled by exchanges and agreements with resolution by the national government after the United States gained independence.
During the Revolutionary War, British forces arrived in the Wyoming Valley on June 30, 1778. The next day, Colonel Butler sent a surrender demand to the militia at Fort Wintermute. Terms were arranged that the defenders, after surrendering the fort with all their arms, would be released on the condition that they would not again bear arms during the war. On July 3, however, the British saw that the defenders were gathering in great numbers outside of Forty Fort.