Fremont (formerly Lower Sandusky) is a city in and the county seat of Sandusky County, Ohio, United States, located along the west bank of the Sandusky River. It is about 35 miles from Toledo and 25 miles from Sandusky. The population was 16,734 at the 2010 census.
The city was the home of Rutherford B. Hayes, who served as President of the United States from 1877 to 1881. The Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center was the first presidential library and is one of the focal points of the city. The National Arbor Day Foundation designated Fremont as a Tree City USA.
Fremont stands on the site of Junquindundeh, an historic Wyandot village on the west bank of the lower Sandusky River, near the falls and about 15 miles (24 km) upstream from its mouth at Sandusky Bay. French merchants established a trading post there in the 1750s, but British forces took over the trading post and rest of the area after their victory in the French and Indian War.
In 1787, the newly independent United States created the Northwest Territory to include all land west of the Ohio River. In 1803 the southeastern portion of the Northwest Territory was admitted to the Union as the new state of Ohio. Under the terms of Ohio's statehood, the area of Lower Sandusky was defined as Indian Territory.