Galloway Township is a township in Atlantic County, New Jersey, United States. At 114.49 square miles (296.5 km2) of total area (land and water combined), Galloway Township is the largest municipality in the state. As of the 2010 United States Census, the township's population was 37,349, reflecting an increase of 6,140 (+19.7%) from the 31,209 counted in the 2000 Census, which had in turn increased by 7,879 (+33.8%) from the 23,330 counted in the 1990 Census; The increase of more than 14,000 in population since the 1990 Census was the 11th-highest in the state.
Galloway Township was incorporated by Royal charter on April 4, 1774, from portions of Egg Harbor Township, when it was still part of Gloucester County. Galloway was incorporated as one of the initial group of 104 townships by an act of the New Jersey Legislature on February 21, 1798. After becoming part of the newly formed Atlantic County in 1837, portions of the township were taken to create Mullica Township (March 13, 1838), Egg Harbor City (June 14, 1858), Absecon town (February 29, 1872), Brigantine Beach borough (now Brigantine city; June 14, 1890) and Port Republic (March 1, 1905).
The Township of Galloway was created by Royal Patent of King George III of Great Britain on April 4, 1774. At that time it was part of Gloucester County, and comprised what is now Hammonton, Mullica Township, Egg Harbor City, Port Republic, Brigantine, Atlantic City, and the northern portion of Absecon. Galloway Township was incorporated by the New Jersey Legislature on February 21, 1798, as one of the state's initial group of 104 townships under the Township Act of 1798.
For thousands of years, the area of Galloway Township was occupied by different cultures of indigenous peoples. The Lenape Native Americans were the historic tribe who occupied the area at the time of European encounter. They were one of the many Algonguian language peoples of the East Coast.
They were followed by European settlers, primarily English in the early years of colonial settlement.