Grantsville is the second most populous city in Tooele County, Utah, United States. It is part of the Salt Lake City, Utah Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 8,893 at the 2010 census. The city has grown slowly and steadily throughout most of its existence, but rapid increases in growth occurred during the 1970s and 1990s. Recent rapid growth has been attributed to the nearby Deseret Peak recreational center, the Utah Motorsports Campus raceway and to the newly built Wal-Mart Distribution Center located just outside the city. It is quickly becoming a bedroom community for commuters into the Salt Lake valley.
The area of Grantsville was originally populated by the Goshute tribe.
Grantsville was originally called "Willow Creek", and has also been called Twenty Wells, due to the natural wells that give fresh water to the area. Grantsville was settled by Mormon pioneers in 1850. The present name after Col. George D. Grant, a Mormon leader, was adopted ca.