Grass Lake is a village in Jackson County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 1,173 at the 2010 census. The village is located just south of Interstate 94 in Grass Lake Township.
In 1842, the Michigan Central Railroad bypassed the original village and built a depot 1.5 miles (2.4 km) to the west when an offer of $1.50 an acre was offered (compared to $2.00 an acre at the previous city center) . The village was relocated to this new location - its current location - to be closer to the rail depot and some of the original buildings were relocated to the new site.
In 1887, Grass Lake was awarded a stone depot designed by the same architects, Spier and Rohns, and with stone from the same quarry as the Ann Arbor station. The historic Romanesque Whistle Stop Depot offers displays of local interest and is available for rental.
The Grass Lake Historical Society also operates the Coe House Museum. The home was constructed in 1871 for Henry Van Winkle, who owned and operated a hardware store and farm equipment dealership in Grass Lake. In 1972 the home was donated to the historical society by Mrs. Myrta Coe.