Grenada is a city in Grenada County, Mississippi, United States. The population was 13,092 at the 2010 census. It is the county seat of Grenada County.
Grenada was formed in 1836, after federal removal of the Choctaw people who had long occupied this territory. It was the result of the union of the two adjacent towns (separated by the present-day Line Street) of Pittsburg and Tulahoma (or Tullahoma), founded, respectively, by Franklin Plummer and Hiram Runnels.
Development included stores and businesses that supported the county court and market days. Plantations were first developed along the Yazoo River for transportation and access to water. Cotton was the major commodity crop, dependent on the labor of enslaved African Americans.
In 1851, Grenada townspeople founded the Yalobusha Baptist Female Institute for education of their young white women. In 1882, the school was taken over by the Methodists and renamed as Grenada College. Classified in the 20th century as a junior college, it encountered financial troubles during the Great Depression. The church closed the college in 1936 and transferred its assets to Millsaps College.
In December 1862, Confederate general Earl Van Dorn, whose troops had been encamped in Grenada, led the three brigades under his command in an attempt to destroy the Union supply depot at Holly Springs, Mississippi.
In 1885 two white men, Perry McChristian and Felix Williams, were accused of murdering two white peddlers and were lynched. During the lynching, they implicated two Black men, Bartley James and John Campbell, who were then also lynched by a mob of white men.
In the civil rights era, African Americans throughout Mississippi were active in seeking their constitutional rights.