Grosse Pointe Farms is a suburban city bordering Detroit, located in Wayne County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 9,479 at the 2010 census. It is bordered by Canada and Lake Saint Clair on the south and east, Grosse Pointe on the west, Detroit on the north, and Grosse Pointe Woods and Grosse Pointe Shores on the northeast. Lakeshore Drive begins in Grosse Pointe Farms, where, just east of Fisher Road, the eastbound driver or pedestrian on Jefferson Avenue descends to lake level, following the curvature of the lakefront to the northeast.
The area that would become Grosse Pointe Farms was originally incorporated as the Village of Grosse Pointe in 1879. By 1889, the village extended from land just above Provencal Road in the northeast to Cadieux Road in the west. In 1893, the portion of the village east of Fisher Road broke off and incorporated as the Village of Grosse Pointe Farms after a dispute over the location of a tavern. It was not until 1949, however, that the village incorporated as a city.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 12.32 square miles (31.91 km2), of which 2.75 square miles (7.12 km2) is land and 9.57 square miles (24.79 km2) is water. The water is part of Lake St. Clair.