Guntown is a town in Lee County, Mississippi, located in the northern part of the Tupelo micropolitan area. The population was 2,083 at the 2010 Census.
The community most likely has the name of James Gunn, a pioneer citizen.
Guntown was established in the 1850s, and incorporated as a village in 1867. It was declared a town in 1905 after its population had risen to 330.
Guntown is located along Mississippi Highway 145, with the older parts of town lying further to the east near the railroad tracks. U.S. Route 45 traverses the western part of the town, running roughly parallel to MS 145. Baldwyn lies just to the north of Guntown, and Saltillo lies just to the south.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 4.5 square miles (12 km2), of which 4.5 square miles (12 km2) is land and 0.22% is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,183 people, 443 households, and 337 families residing in the town. The population density was 261.1 people per square mile (100.8/km2). There were 482 housing units at an average density of 106.4 per square mile (41.1/km2).