Hansville is an unincorporated community and census-designated place (CDP) in Kitsap County, Washington, United States. Its population was 3,091 as of the 2010 U.S. Census. The coastal community is located at the northern end of the Kitsap Peninsula and is about 16 miles (26 km) northeast of Poulsbo, the nearest city.
Point No Point, a low sandy spit that forms the northern beachside of what is now Hansville, was formerly the southern reach of the historic homeland of the Nuu-chah-nulth, whose generally recognized territory had, as its northern terminus, Vancouver Island.
Point No Point was first sighted by a European settler, and given its English name, during the United States Exploring Expedition of Puget Sound in 1841. Expedition leader Charles Wilkes gave the site its name because it appears much less of a promontory at close range than it does from a distance.
On January 25, 1855, Isaac Stevens, the governor of the newly organized Washington Territory, summoned a treaty council to Point No Point, which was attended by 1,200 American Indians of the Chimakum, Klallam, and Skokomish tribes, Point No Point being a central midpoint between the tribal centers. The Point No Point Treaty was signed between the United States and the delegates of the tribes the following day.
The first regular residents of Hansville were the lightkeepers of the Point No Point Light, which was constructed in 1879. In 1893 a Norwegian fisherman, the community's first permanent settler not affiliated with the lighthouse, came to the area. He was soon followed by other Norwegian emigres, including Hans Zachariasen, for whom Hansville was ultimately named.
In 1900 the Hansville Community Church was founded, with the first permanent structure for the congregation built nine years later. Hansville was connected to Point No Point and its lighthouse by a road constructed in 1908. In 1924 another road was built 10 miles (16 km) south to Kingston, allowing access to the isolated community by means other than boat or trail for the first time.