Hauppauge ( HAWP-og) is a hamlet and census-designated place (CDP) in the towns of Islip and Smithtown in Suffolk County, New York, United States. The population was 20,882 at the time of the 2010 census.
Hauppauge is located at 40°49′6″N 73°12′25″W (40.818205, -73.206878). According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 10.8 square miles (28.1 km2), of which 10.7 square miles (27.7 km2) is land and 0.15 square miles (0.4 km2), or 1.37%, is water. The name comes from the Native American word for "sweet waters." Local Native American tribes would get their fresh drinking water from this area, instead of near Lake Ronkonkoma where the water was not drinkable. Hauppauge is known for the underground water springs and high underground water table.
According to the historian Simeon Wood, the first house in greater Hauppauge dates to 1731, being located on what would be the Arbuckle Estate, and later the southeast corner of the Hauppauge Industrial Park, near the intersection of Motor Parkway and Old Willets Path. The settlement of Hauppauge proper commenced with the family of Thomas Wheeler prior to 1753, at the present-day location of the Wave gas station between Townline and Wheeler Road. The locale would take the Wheelers' name as its own until the 1860s when the name Hauppauge was restored. On March 13, 1806, "a meeting of the male members of the Methodist Society of the 'Haupogues' was convened at the School House agreeable to public notice for the express purpose of Incorporating and Electing Trustees for said Society." The first trustees elected at the meeting presided by Timothy Wheeler and Issac Wheeler were Issac Nichols, Elkanah Wheeler, George Wheeler, and Samuel Brush. They were known as the "Trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church and Congregation of the Haupogues".