Haymarket is a town in Prince William County, Virginia, United States. The population was 1,782 at the 2010 census, a total that was estimated to have decreased to 1,715 in 2018.
This was a hunting ground of the western Iroquois nations, who came from the New York and Pennsylvania area around the Great Lakes. They used hunting paths through here until 1722, when they made a treaty with the colonies of Virginia and New York to move into the Blue Ridge Mountain region.
Due to the hunting paths, this location, and later the town, were given the nickname The Crossroads. The town of Haymarket was developed here after the American Revolutionary War, formally founded in 1799 on the land of William Skinker. The Virginia General Assembly gave Skinker the rights to lay out the town, which he drew to consist of 13 streets and 140 lots. Shortly after, a clerk's office and jail were constructed in 1801, as the town had been selected as the site of what is now a district court. The town owed its early development to business and trade associated with the regular court sessions.
In 1807, the Virginia General Assembly abolished the district court in favor of the circuit court system, which established a court at each county seat. Until 1830 the court house remained the focal point of the town, while serving multiple purposes.