Honeoye Falls ( HUN-ee-oy) is a village within the town of Mendon in Monroe County, New York. The population was 2,674 at the 2010 census. The village includes a small waterfall on Honeoye Creek, which flows through the village and gives it its name. The name Honeoye comes from the Seneca word ha-ne-a-yah, which means lying finger, or where the finger lies. The name comes from the local story of a Native American whose finger was bitten by a rattlesnake and who therefore cut off his finger with a tomahawk.
Honeoye Falls is currently in the process of developing a "sister city" relationship with Borgne, Haiti.
The village was founded in 1791 by Zebulon Norton when he purchased 1,820 acres (7.4 km2) of land for the price of 12½ cents per acre. He built a grist mill and later a saw mill, at a waterfall on Honeoye Creek. The area was originally known as Norton Mills. In 1827, Hiram Finch built a second mill, which would come to be called the Lower Mill to differentiate it from the earlier mill. On May 17, 1973, the Lower Mill was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.