Hungry Horse is an unincorporated community and census-designated place (CDP) in Flathead County, Montana, United States. The population was 826 at the 2010 census. The ZIP code for Hungry Horse is 59919.
The town sprang up during the construction of Hungry Horse Dam when the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation placed more than one hundred prefabricated buildings at the site to house workers. In 1948, Flathead County commissioners changed the name of the newly formed "Damtown" to Hungry Horse. The name comes from a local legend about two horses, Tex and Jerry, that escaped and almost starved to death in deep snow along the South Fork of the Flathead River.
Hungry Horse is located in central Flathead County at 48°23′5″N 114°3′53″W (48.384609, -114.064849), at the confluence of the Flathead River and its South Fork. Bad Rock Canyon lies less than one mile to the west of Hungry Horse.
U.S. Route 2 passes through Hungry Horse, leading northeast 10 miles (16 km) to West Glacier and southwest 23 miles (37 km) to Kalispell. West Side Road leads southeast from town up the South Fork valley 4 miles (6 km) to Hungry Horse Dam and its reservoir.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the Hungry Horse CDP has a total area of 1.5 square miles (3.8 km2), of which 1.4 square miles (3.7 km2) is land and 0.04 square miles (0.1 km2), or 3.61%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 934 people, 346 households, and 237 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 506.0 people per square mile (194.9/km2).