Idalou is a city in Lubbock County, Texas, United States. It is located 7 miles (11 km) northeast of Lubbock near the intersection of Farm to Market Road 400 and US 62/US 82/SH 114. The population was 2,250 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Lubbock Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Idalou began as a settlement around a depot on the South Plains and Santa Fe Railway in the early 1910s, and within a few years had a one-room schoolhouse and several businesses. The first post office was opened in 1917, and in 1919, a two-story brick school was built after the original school burned down. Incorporated in 1925 with 538 residents, the town grew to 2,348 residents by 1980 and has remained above 2,000 residents in the years since.
Idalou has a post office, library, city park and pool, EMS station, fire department, co-op cotton gin, grocery store, and many other businesses. The town serves as an agricultural center for cotton farming in northeast Lubbock County, with many of the residents employed in farming and farming-related occupations. Due to its close proximity to Lubbock, many residents work in the nearby city.