Kirtland is a town, made up of part of the former census-designated place (CDP) of the same name in San Juan County, New Mexico, United States. The population of the former CDP was 6,190 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Farmington Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Kirtland was founded in the early 1880s by Mormon settlers who named it after Kirtland, Ohio. (Reflecting its history and principal demographic, the city's principal thoroughfare is Brigham Street, with a Mormon meetinghouse on the street and a release-time seminary building across the street from Kirtland Central High School.) There had been a few Mormons who had settled in Fruitland as early as 1878. As of 2000, Fruitland was designated as part of Kirtland for census purposes. Another Mormon settlement of these early days was Waterflow, just west of Fruitland, which appears on maps to this day. A Mormon meetinghouse was dedicated in Kirtland by Heber J. Grant in 1928.
The town incorporated in January 2015 after an 80–40 vote in favor of doing so.
Kirtland is located at 36°44′23″N 108°20′42″W (36.739668, -108.345121).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.670 square miles (1.74 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 6,190 people, 1,822 households, and 1,517 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 530.5 people per square mile (204.8/km2). There were 1,994 housing units at an average density of 170.9 per square mile (66.0/km2).