Lake Orion ( ORR-ee-ən) is a village in the north side outskirts of Metro Detroit in Oakland County, Michigan, United States. The population was 2,973 at the 2010 census. "Lake Orion" is often used to describe both the village and the much larger Orion Township, of which the village is a part.
Lake Orion began as a resort town and over time has incorporated elements of a bedroom community.
Judah Church and Moses (or Samuel) Munson were among the first settlers. Munson, who arrived in 1824, built a sawmill in 1825, and planted the first orchard. Jesse Decker arrived from upstate New York with his wife, Mary, in 1825. Decker proved to be energetic and became "everything to everybody," so that the place soon became known as "Decker's Settlement," and the town was called "Canandaigua," after Canandaigua, New York, where the settlers originated. The settlement grew into a bustling commercial center with a sawmill, tavern, post office, general store, blacksmith shop, school and cemetery. In 1828, a power dam was built uniting several small lakes and forming the mile wide Lake Canandaigua, just west of the village.
In 1830, Jesse Decker raised the first frame barn in the area with the help of local Indians.