Laverne is a town in Harper County, Oklahoma, United States. The population was 1,344 at the 2010 census.
Laverne's origin is traced to John Mollman's homestead, which he established in 1903. The site was then in Woodward County, Oklahoma Territory. A post office was established in 1896 with the name Laverne and continued operating until 1908. After 1908, mail addressed to Laverne was redirected to another post office named Speedmore (now defunct).
Mollman sold part of his acreage to a townsite promoter in 1911. The promoter platted the area and began selling lots. The Wichita Falls and Northwestern Railway (WF&NW), a Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway (Katy) subsidiary, reached the new settlement in spring, 1912.
The community was named Laverne after the old post office was moved to the new site in May, 1912. According to the Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, by June, 1912, Laverne had 44 businesses, including the Laverne State Bank, the Fox Hotel (NR 78002236) and the Clover Hotel (NR 84003034). Both hotels were built in 1912.
Laverne is located at 36°42′29″N 99°53′50″W (36.708137, -99.897106).